The Service Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.ISelectionContainer already exists in the service container. - by MarkusBr

Status :

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

to vote
ID 311949 Comments
Status Closed Workarounds
Type Bug Repros 41
Opened 11/23/2007 2:35:34 AM
Access Restriction Public

Description

I get the following Message after I created an new Project and try to open the winform designer. (Visual Studio 2008 Final release)!

Parameter name: serviceType
Posted by Zero Lee on 2/25/2008 at 8:30 PM
Hello. My name is Zero Lee..I have an issue not directly related and computer stupid..sort of ..I mean I have a laptop that my girlfriend gave me and other than talk to her on it and all my music I have no function for it....I see the world is open with it...but where...
Please give me some thing to do...A reason to learn...lee1151005324@yahoo.com
Posted by Anton Walker on 2/17/2008 at 1:41 PM
I to was getting this error and was only able to resolve it by running the exploring the install DVD (I downloaded the iso from MS) and running: "VBExpress\WCU\dotNetFramework\dotNetMSP\x86\NetFX2.0-KB110806-v6000-x86.msu"

Hope this helps everyone else out there.
Posted by Anonymous14516 on 2/7/2008 at 3:06 PM
Product LanguageEnglishVersionVisual Studio 2008 (All Products and Editions)Operating SystemWindows VistaOperating System LanguageGermanWhich language?VBWhere did you encounter the problem?IDE (Visual Studio UI)DetailsWinforms DesignerSteps to ReproduceCreate New Project
Double click on the winform to open the designerActual ResultsMessagebox with following errormessage:
Parameter name: serviceType
Expected ResultsOpen the designer without error-message檔案附件1 附件
WindowsApplication1.zip
Posted by Dave Bhavesh on 1/28/2008 at 7:01 PM
Hi..Chris..
Glad to hear.....Enjoy....VS 2008..happy coding..
Posted by chris_kzn on 1/28/2008 at 4:44 AM
Thanks for your assistance infinite_dreams, I have performed the following to resolve this issue:
1. Downloaded the large 197MB NET 3.5 Full Redistribution Package. This is however not required.
2. Used this diagnostic tool which you recommended: (after installing the above package) http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronru/archive/2007/11/29/net-framework-3-5-installation-validation-tool.aspx
(I still got the exact same error)
3. Followed these instructions: http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronru/archive/2007/12/10/what-to-do-when-you-go-to-post-a-setup-and-deployment-issue-on-the-msdn-forums.aspx
(The ones in blue)
4. Reapplied the "VS 2008 DVD\WCU\dotNetFramework\dotNetMSP\x86\NetFX2.0-KB110806-v6000-x86.msu"
5. Rebooted and tried running the script in step 2 again. It confirmed everything was now configured correctly.

Thanks once again for your assistance. I hope this helps all those others out there battling to work through this.
Posted by chris_kzn on 1/27/2008 at 10:41 PM
Thanks for that infinite_dreams, I have run this batch command and seem to get the following errors:
POTENTIAL ERROR: REGISTRYDUMP: reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727" /v "SP"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.050727     SP     REG_DWORD     0x0
ERROR: NetFx2.0 SP1 is not installed

This is despite the fact that I have reapplied those two patches twice. Is there any other way I can clear up these .NET entries and then install .NET with sp1 included?

Thanks once again for your assistance.
Posted by Dave Bhavesh on 1/25/2008 at 6:34 PM
Hey...Chris..
sorry, that solution not worked for you.
Can you please check your installation by this tool:
It will tell you if, any sp is missing or any other installation errors like registry entries etc.
Posted by chris_kzn on 1/24/2008 at 6:39 AM
I still have this problem and have discovered that it is related to the Visual Basic Form Editor program within Visual Studio 2008 Professional. I am not sure how to resolve this and so have just set Microsoft Visual Basic Editor as my default form editor. It does not take me to the form to add controls or anything but at least I can finally access the Visual Studio project. Hope Microsoft can resolve this sometime soon. I have reapplied the .NET fixes as many times as possible but am still experiencing the same problem. Help, help, drowning.
Posted by chris_kzn on 1/23/2008 at 3:29 AM
I have tried infinite_dreams solution but it has not helped me in resolving the problem.
I have tried using the Windows Install Cleanup (5.6) tool provided by Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/290301
Then using the msiinv.exe file found through the link below:
I have used the vs_uninst_winfx.exe tool. http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/12/04/6659905.aspx
I have used the vs_uninst_betas.exe tool. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa718405.aspx#Tool
All the above tools run before installing the Visual Studio Professional Edition 2008 (Final) onto a notebook with Windows Vista Business Basic.

If there is anyone out there listening, then please assist. The 1 to 2 hour uninstalling and re-installing is killing me. All I want to do is start using the latest version of Visual Studio 2008, why is it so difficult?
Posted by Dave Bhavesh on 1/18/2008 at 7:14 PM
I got solution of this problem..
----------------------------------
Hi..this problem has been solved.VS 2008 installer does not install updates from this folder by default,
VS 2008 DVD\WCU\dotNetFramework\dotNetMSP\x86
we have to install files from this folder manually.
after installation
..now it is working file.
Posted by jon why on 12/29/2007 at 7:33 PM
MICROSOFT, when are you going to fix this critical issue?
Posted by Paul Tomlinson on 12/23/2007 at 11:37 AM
I am getting exactly the same problem using the VS2008 90 Day Trial software on Vista. Sorry Microsoft, it is not fixed!!
On various sites I have found this problem noted, these suggested checking some Hotfixs were present - does not make any difference on my PC.
Posted by Craig3 on 12/6/2007 at 8:47 PM
I get the EXACT behaviour as Herje1 posted on December 5th, 2007.

Environment:
Vista Business
SQL Server 2005 Dev Edition
Visual Studio 2005 SP1 for Vista
Office 2007
Posted by Herje on 12/5/2007 at 2:39 PM
I get the same error on US Windows Vista. Installed VS2008 Professional RTM. First I converted and compiled a VS2005 project. It compiled and ran OK (after turning off "embed manifest in exe" to get around that bug), but when I later tried to open a Windows Form in the Designer the message above appeared.

I then created a brand new WinForm project in VS2008 and the same problem occurs when opening the Wizard generated form.

This is not ready to close. It is very real.
Posted by David in NZ on 12/3/2007 at 2:18 PM
I get the exact same error in C# on Vista Ultimate. OS Lang is English (NZ). There is nothing to send you. It is a brand new WinForm project, and errors when I double-click on Form1.cs.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/30/2007 at 1:20 AM
We are closing this issue because we are unable to reproduce the issue in our labs based on the information provided. When you are available to send us the additional details we previously requested, you may edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Microsoft on 11/23/2007 at 9:53 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with:

a) a zipped project files
b) more details about creating the project

If we do not receive a response from you after 7-days , we will automatically close your issue. There is no obligation to respond -- at any time you may

edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Microsoft on 11/23/2007 at 9:50 PM
Thank you for your feedback. We are currently investigating. The investigation process normally takes 7-14 days. If this issue is urgent, please contact

support directly (see http://support.microsoft.com).

If at any time your issue is closed unsatisfactorily, you may edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Visual Studio Product Team